Friday, July 8, 2011

Camp


I had the best week at Bible camp this last week.  I didn’t get to have my own cabin this year and be with a group of girls which I actually missed; but I was in charge of a couple cabins and was able to hang out and get to know a lot of the young girls and counselors from them.  I really enjoyed the new duties this year. 

What I didn’t expect was for camp to be challenging and encouraging all at the same time. This year I was speaking at a workshop for girls.  I was terrified and what I was speaking on is in my opinion one of my greatest weaknesses making me feel a little inadequate to speak on it. There was so much information to give these girls that if I had learned years ago would have saved me a lot of heartache, but a friend pointed out that it’s better to point them in the right direction and try to model it rather than just give them info.  

It amazes me how God works.  I had decided to condense my workshop down and really just talk to the girls and be real with them.  The workshop was supposed to be on Thursday, and due to some scheduling changes we ended up not doing any of the workshops until Saturday.  Between Thursday and Saturday the main speakers at the camp covered a lot of the other topics I thought would be crucial for the girls to hear but didn’t think would be wise to fit it all in one workshop.  I was so amazed, but shouldn’t have been.  I know that God works things out like that.  And the girls didn’t need to hear it from me, they needed to hear it from whatever venue God chose to speak to them from.  It was inspiring to see so many people giving up their time and energy and being used by God.  

It was encouraging to see the worship band be there and not only lead worship but interact with the kids during the week.  There were morning activities, evening games, and videos that were a success due to a lot of hard unacknowledged time and work spent by some amazing men and women.  What was most encouraging was seeing the kids.  I love spending time talking with girls about everything under the sun.  I loved seeing the ones that are generally closed off open up and be more outgoing.  I loved seeing the older counselor girls relating with the kids. I love seeing God’s people, united and serving Him and each other.  It was a pretty encouraging week.

No comments:

Post a Comment